Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Setting Up Camp for Spring Break

When spring break rolls around, most students head out to the first glamorous beach they can find. Others, however, would much rather spend their week of freedom in a tent.
Camping is an activity that can be enjoyed by all ages and is a way for people to experience a simpler way of vacationing. Lake Whitney State Park, for example, offers a variety of attractions such as hiking, boating and, of course, camping. Noted as an excellent fishing spot, Lake Whitney centers the Hill Country camping experience on that large body of glassy-blue water.

Adam Radliff, a 24-year-old Texas State business major, was introduced to camping and all of its intricacies at an early age. While others may go sunbathing or hit the trails, Radliff learned to love carrying around a tackle box and a pole, ready to head out to the lake.

“My favorite thing to do while camping is fishing,” said Radliff. “My papa taught me to fish, and the time we spend together doing that is just really great.”

Courtney England, a school counselor, agrees that family has a way of drawing you into the great outdoors. Now 26 years old, England reflects on both her past and present memories of camping.

“I used to camp a lot when I was a lot younger, but that sort of died down when I got into high school,” said England. “My husband kind of rekindled that for me. He really loves to camp!”

Being from the city, England thinks that she’s often too caught up in the hustle and bustle of daily life, and fully appreciates the simpler moments spent while camping.

“It really feels like we’re getting away from normal stuff, like electronics and ovens and stuff,” said England. “I like the challenge it all brings and the fresh air.”

Jamie Aitken, a clerk for Lake Whitney, has worked at the State Park for a year and still loves her job. One of her favorite parts of the day is greeting the newcomers to the park.

“I like saying hi to all of the people coming here who are on a vacation. They’re all so happy to be here and ready to get started!” said Aitken.

Still, Aitken laments that sometimes she has to spoil the fun for some visitors who try to take advantage of the park’s privacy.

“Sometimes we have problems with drinking and loud music at camp sites with college kids,” said Aitken. “One of the park rangers will have to drive down there and take care of it.”

Greg Bentch, a Texas State political science major, isn’t concerned by the politics of camping; he’s much more interested in the price.

“Camping is definitely cheap,” said Bentch. “I mean, if I had gone to South Padre for spring break I would have spent like $400 or $500. Here it’s only like $100.”

Still, Bentch says that the best part about camping doesn’t include numbers.

“I always go camping with my friends,” said Bentch. “I mean it’s just fun, and that right there is priceless.”

No comments:

Post a Comment