Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Break in San Marcos

For most students, spring break was about taking vacations with friends. For others, it was just a time to continue working. But, to everyone spring break was a chance to escape school and stress.

Affordability is the key reason whether a student takes a vacation or stays in town to work. A majority of Texas State University students went on vacations, but a surprising amount stayed in town.

"I had to work during spring break because I recently bought a puppy, and I'm currently paying him off," said Chelsea Dubocq, Texas State nutrition major.

A break does not have to be taking a vacation. Students who stayed in town to work found other ways to enjoy their spring break.




"Yeah I had to work, but I still had a great time in San Marcos. I went to the river and pool on my days off," said Kelsey Barton, Texas State sophomore.


San Marcos seems to be a beautiful location to spend spring break, and it is affordable. Some students stayed in town because they are saving money, or did not want to spend much during the break.


"I stayed in San Marcos during spring break because I'm trying to save money for a future vacation," said Jesus Olivas, Texas State junior.

Money may have been a main factor as to why students took a vacation or not. Either way, spring break was an opportunity for students to enjoy time away from school.


"It was just nice to hang out with close friends, and not have to go to class everyday," Barton said.


A lot of students stress out over school, and spring break was their time to simply relax.

"I don't need to take an expensive vacation. I'm using this week to take it easy," Olivas said.

With many students out of town for spring break, San Marcos was not as active. Some shops on the square periodically shut down because students were not in town. Whether they know it or not, students have fascinating control over San Marcos. Students keep the city in good business.

"I didn't open my store for a few days because business was so slow during spring break," said storeowner of Retro Exchange, Mona Yarovinsky.

It is amazing what an impact spring break has over a single city. The break brought in visitors and removed many students from San Marcos.

Whether you stayed in San Marcos to save money and work, or took a vacation, spring break should have been a delightful and relaxing time.














No comments:

Post a Comment