Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spring Break at home can still be fun

Spring break translates to trips to Cancun, Acapulco, and South Padre for many college

students, while for others it translates to a trip back home.


Spring break is a time where all students can relax and not worry about the hassles of schoolwork and exams. Some students take this opportunity and go somewhere fun and exotic, while others head back to their hometowns.


Although the connotation of going home for spring break sounds dull and uninteresting, many college students find ways to make a simple trip home full of fun activities.


Texas State University graduate Taylor Kleimann found ways to make her spring break a memorable one even though all she did was go home.


“I took my boyfriend and my best friend home with me to my ranch in Willis,” Kleimann said. “Watching my best friend fish for the first time was an experience I’ll never forget.”

Now not everyone lives on a ranch where not only can you fish, but ride horses as well, so others had to find more creative ways to have fun.


Texas Christian University sophomore Spencer Requa was invited to a color themed party thrown by one of his high school friends.


“Each person invited to the party had to wear a specific color and there were games and contests to see who would win the rainbow jar of jelly beans,” Requa said. “It was so random, but I had tons of fun.”

Many times the choice of student’s spring break destinations depends on their available funds, and in the present economy those funds can be hard to find.


Kailin Bennett, sophomore at Texas Women’s University, knew that a trip for spring break was not a feasible reality this year.


“I’m actually saving my money for a mission trip to Cuba this summer, so I didn’t have any extra money to go towards taking a trip for spring break,” Bennett said.


Other students decided to work over the break to make some extra money that could be used for trips later on.


Even with the responsibility of having to go to work, students found ways to make the most of the little time they did have to relax and have fun.


Katie Stapleton, sophomore at Texas State University, worked for most of her break, but was still able to find little things that brightened up her break.


“My mom and I visited the Fort Worth Zoo and the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens,” Stapleton said. “Just being able to go do things that I hadn’t done in a long time made it feel like I was on vacation somewhere else.”

Spending spring break at home with family might not sound like the best college experience, but there are always things you can do to have fun wherever you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment